first_imgAustralia got a penalty stroke three minutes into the Australia got a penalty stroke three minutes into the second quarter when Glenn Turner?s shot in a set-piece penalty corner try hit defender Pradeep Mor?s foot. The umpire immediately blew for a penalty stroke, although the ball slowly trickled over the goalline. Blake Govers failed to convert the penalty stroke as he flicked wide to the left and India survived the anxious moment. Indian defender Raghunath was quick to cover some ground when unmarked Govers got a ball on top of the Indian circle in the 24th minute. Raghunath deflected out the reverse hit. Goalkeeper Sreejesh then made another good save on a penalty corner shot before India mounted a raid after a long time on a quick counter, but only for Akashdeep Singh to send a wayward pass from top of the rival circle. Both teams were down to 10 men for a while in the second quarter when Indian defender Pradeep Mor and Australia?s Daniel Beale were sent off following a stiff tackle. Indian shooter Harmanpreet could not make the third Indian penalty corner count in the 29th minute and the title encounter remained goalless at half-time. Raghunath?s quick diagonal forward pass following an Australian penalty corner in the 37th minute saw India surge forward. The Indian strikers switched the ball around to find a leeway past the Australian defenders, who held their ground grimly. India had a brief period of territorial dominance in the third quarter, mounting three raids into the circle and also forcing two penalty corners in as many minutes. The penalty corners did not pose a threat as the ball was not stopped on the first occasion and the feeble shot was easily cleared on the next one. India failed to capitalise when they had an advantage in numbers as Australia were down to nine men in the third quarter with Matthew Swann and Trent Mitton were shown green cards in quick succession. At the start of the fourth quarter, Akashdeep Singh took a reverse shot from top of the circle that got palmed away by the custodian. Australian defender Matt Dawson was sent off with a yellow card in the 50th minute for a deliberate foul on Indian winger Sunil and they had to play the last 10 minutes with 10 players. Again, India failed to capitalise from an extra player on the pitch, and the advantage was negated with three minutes remaining as Indian player Thimmaiah also had a yellow card flashed at him. PTI Cor AT ATadvertisementlast_img

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *